Harsh winter conditions can take its toll on our skin and often it is our faces that bear the brunt of this. Tell-tale signs of winter skin include cracked lips, dry and flaky patches, redness, and a dull complexion. If this sounds all too familiar, it’s time to start thinking about improving your skincare regime by introducing an illuminating face mask for glowing skin and some much-needed skin relief.
In this article, we’re going to explore how natural sheet face masks can help you to hydrate and brighten dull skin this winter:
How The Winter Months Affect Our Skin
The winter months can see temperatures drop to sub-zero levels. And while it is easy enough to wrap up warm and protect most other areas of the body, our face has to literally face up to every condition that it is exposed to. This drop in temperature combined with low humidity levels results in moisture being drawn out of the skin, which in turn leads to dryness. Once the skin is dry, we often then expose it to indoor heating, which dries it out even further. This can lead to the skin becoming so dry that it starts to crack and it may then become sore and sensitive, which of course then worsens as the winter season goes on.
Ways To Rejuvenate Your Skin During Winter
After reading about what winter does to your skin you might well be thinking that all hope is lost for your delicate facial skin. But worry not, as there are plenty of things you can do that will help protect your skin and get it back to looking its best:
- Hydrate – When moisture is being drawn out of your skin, the best thing to do is to get it right back in there. And one way to do that is by drinking more water. Skin absolutely loves water – it makes it plumper, clearer, and gives it that youthful radiance we all lust after. Aim for 8 glasses of water a day and try not to have too much caffeine or alcohol.
- Check Your Skincare Products – There are certain products contained in skincare that will only exacerbate dryness. They might work really well for you in the summer months, but during winter they could potentially be your skin’s worst nightmare. Avoid products containing sodium lauryl and laureth sulfate as these are super drying.
- Go To Bed Earlier – A good night’s sleep does wonders for skin, so make sure you’re getting a good 8 hours of sleep a night for a more luminous complexion come morning.
- Eat Skin Friendly Foods – There are less sunlight hours during winter and this means that many of us are often lacking in Vitamin D – a total skin saviour when it comes to rejuvenation and protection. Up your intake of salmon, tuna, and sardines. Also look out for products that have been fortified with vitamin D or consider taking supplements throughout the winter period.
- Have A Weekly Home Spa – Take some time to look after yourself by scheduling a weekly home spa evening. Use a very gentle exfoliator to buff away any dry skin, relax in the bath with an illuminating face mask, and then moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!
Soothe Winter Skin With An Illuminating Face Mask
As we’ve mentioned, a good quality illuminating face mask can work wonders on your poor winter ravaged skin. But one thing you must be careful of is that it doesn’t make the problem worse. Always choose a skincare product that uses natural ingredients to gently soothe the skin and give it the hydration it needs. A good example of a natural illuminating face mask is this one from Iroha Nature.
Iroha Nature pride themselves on using natural ingredients, such as Vitamin C, pitaya, and aloe vera to name but a few. Their clean beauty ethos means their products are vegan friendly, sustainable, biodegradable, and are allergen and paraben free. So not only does your skin benefit, but the planet does too!
Environmental factors are some of the harshest things our skin face on a daily basis, but they are often hard to avoid. Regularly using a face mask as part of your skincare routine will help to fight against the damaging effects of our environment, by smoothing out imperfections and supply extra hydration. This particular hydrating sheet mask is suitable for all skin types and contains aloe vera to gently soothe and hyaluronic acid to ‘hold onto’ water and keep skin looking radiant, youthful, and healthy.
Dry, flaky, sore, chapped skin in winter is avoidable. Simply follow our advice above and give your face the winter glow up it deserves.